Thursday, 12 June 2014

Review: Shiro Cosmetics Game Of Thrones Collection



It's probably no surprise that I absolutely love Shiro Cosmetics as a brand and that A Song Of Ice And Fire is one of my most beloved series ever, so when I heard about them doing a Game Of Thrones inspired collection I believe I almost clapped my hands with joy! Combining two of my favourite things? This HAD to be good! I managed to not go completely mental and buy the whole collection but since the colours were so interesting I ended up purchasing quite a few. 


For those who don't know, Shiro Cosmetics is an indie make-up brand that creates cosmetics that are both vegan and completely cruelty free. Lots of the Shiro Cosmetics products are geekery based, there are collections featuring games like Pokemon and The Legend of Zelda but also films like The Hobbit and Hunger Games. The loose pigments that Shiro Cosmetics sells can be used for all sorts of things, like creating custom lipcolours or blush etc but they're most commonly used as eyeshadows. I have purchased from Shiro Cosmetics a few times in the past and I've always been very pleased with their costumer service and products. 


The Packaging






I purchased seven full sized jars and got one sample to be included in this review. Shiro's full sized pigments seem pretty tiny but there's 2 grams of product in there for only 6 dollars. Two grams of pigment is going to last you a long time! The packaging itself is simple and practical, there's an illustration on the top and an ingredient list on the bottom. The lids screw off and inside is a little filter that prevents the pigment from going everywhere if you happen to drop it. The only thing I have to complain about the packaging is that the stickers on the front and back aren't laminated, it's very easy to get them dirty and when they do they're impossible to clean. It's only a minor issue but I thought I'd mention it anyway. 



I'd also like to mention that all swatches are done over a primer as loose eyeshadows really need a sticky base to adhere to and have been applied in two applications with a flat eyeshadow brush.


Queensguard






"I am a knight. I shall die a knight."






"The matte orange-brown of House Selmy, softened with gentle cream shimmer. Lip-safe!"




Picture in natural light, no flash



Picture in natural light, with flash


Queensguard used in the outer corners, crease and lower lashline


Queensguard, inspired by the always honourable knight Barristan Selmy, is an almost-matte orange brown which is absolutely gorgeous as a darker colour in the crease, outer corners or under the lower lashline. The pigment itself is very smooth and nicely pigmented, it looks really matte but in some lights little cream coloured shimmer peeps through. 




I Loved A Maid






"I loved a maid as fair as summer, with the sunlight in her hair. She was a crofter’s daughter. And she loved me."






Green-shifting gold shining out over a base of softened Lannister crimson. Lip-safe!



Photo taken in natural light, no flash


Photo taken in natural light, with flash

Wearing I Loved A Maid in the outer corners and crease



I Loved A Maid is inspired by Tyrion Lannister, the witty, sharp tongued, grossly undervalued intellect. Shiro describes this colour as a green shifting gold over a crimson base, but I feel like it's more of a light green shift over a copper base. It's still very pretty though, the more you blend this colour out the more you see the base colour, patted on it shows the duochrome really well.




Mother Of Dragons






"Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons."






"Silvered royal purple over a blood-red base. Not lip-safe."




Photo taken without flash





Photo taken with flash



Wearing Mother Of Dragons all over the lid, it gets darker the more you blend



Mother Of Dragons is inspired by the beautiful Targaryen queen Daenerys who brought dragons back into the world. It's a most interesting colour with both cool and warm undertones that works well on its own as a smokey eye or as a darker accent colour. 




Maiden Queen






"Aye, Queen you shall be. Until there comes another, younger and more beautiful…"







The brilliant emerald of Highgarden, with bright aqua shimmer and golden-rose sparks. Lip-safe!



Photo taken without flash




Photo taken with flash



Maiden Queen used in a gradient winged eye.


Maiden Queen was inspired by the fetching Margaery Tyrell, although the colour is descried as an emerald I don't think that's exactly accurate. I'd describe it as more of a teal. That said, it's one of the most interesting and vibrant colours I've ever seen and I absolutely love it! It can look more green or blue depending on the colours you combine it with and I love using it to bring a lively pop of colour to looks. The colour applies a bit sheerly, but can easily be built up to full opacity. 




Hodor






“Hodor,” hodored Hodor. “Hodor hodor hodor!”
“HODOR, STOP HODORING.”



Photo taken without flash


Photo taken with flash

Wearing Hodor all over the lid, crease colour is a darker taupe.


Hodor is the colour that I got as a free sample and I would have probably glossed over it myself, which is a shame because it's such a pretty and wearable light taupe! This is the perfect colour for soft eye looks or to blend a darker colour out with. It looks matte but in some lights you can see the multicoloured shimmer, very understated and gorgeous.




Women's Weapons





"Tears aren't a woman's only weapon. The best one's between your legs."




"Strong red wine with soft golden shimmer. Lip-safe!"


Photo taken without flash



photo taken with flash


Women's Weapons was inspired by the beautiful and cruel queen Cersei Lannister. It's a very pigmented and dark wine colour, ideal for sultry dark looks or used subtly as a darker crease colour. It looks quite matte in most lights but when the light hits it just right you can see the golden and purple shimmer coming through. 





Gift Of Mercy






"Maybe some real wolves will find you. Maybe they’ll smell you when the sun goes down. Then you’ll learn what wolves do to dogs."





"Blackened plate-steel grey shot through with hints of orange fire. Lip-safe!"




Photo taken without flash


Photo taken with flash

Gift Of Mercy is inspired by the fearsome Hound, Sandor Clegane. The colour itself is a very befitting charcoal grey with a hint of red to make it a lot more interesting. When the light hits it you suddenly see a multitude of shimmers in different colours as well, a very interesting pigment! It's very dark, so best to used for lining eyes or dramatic looks. 




Little Bird






"The Hound is right . . . I am only a little bird, repeating the words they taught me."





 


"Delicate matte mauve/beige pink. Lip-safe!"


Photo taken without flash




Photo taken with flash


Little Bird is inspired by the young Sansa Stark, who can do not much else but chirp the words everyone wants to hear to survive in a court filled with lions. Surprisingly, this is one of the most wearable and interesting colours of the bunch. I've never quite seen a colour like this, it's wonderful as a soft crease colour or all over the lid. It's not too warm or too cool toned and can play well with both cooler and warmer colours. Little Bird looks exeptionally wonderful in soft neutral and romantic looks.



Final Verdict



From left to right: Queensguard, Hodor, Women's Weapons, Little Bird, Gift Of Mercy, I Loved A Maid, Maiden Queen, Mother of Dragons.



I personally think that this collection is wonderful, not just as a fan of the franchise but mostly because I think the range of colours is fantastic. You've got lovely neutrals, warm browns and soft taupes but also vibrant and interesting colours like the teal Maiden Queen or the silvery/burgundy/purple Mother Of Dragons and the duochrome I Loved A Maid is absolutely beautiful as well. Not to mention that there are quite a few more colours in the collection that I haven't tried!


Working with loose pigments requires a bit of patience and skill but I have a tutorial here about how to use them without making a mess and another one here about how to press pigments, though the quality of the pigments might diminish with pressing (especially pigments with blue undertones and mattes seem to suffer) it can work very nicely. 


The quality of Shiro Cosmetics pigments is very good, they're on par with Urban Decay and Too Faced in my opinion. Lovely pigmentation, interesting colours and the texture is always silky smooth and very finely milled. One full sized jar (2 grams) will last you a very long time and only costs $6. If you're not sure if you want a ful size, you can opt for a one dollar sample bag or a $3.50 mini jar (1 gram). On top of that, all the products are completely vegan and cruelty free and their costumer service is also wonderful.


The only thing I'm not wildly enthusiastic about is the amount of time you have to wait for the parcel to arrive if you don't live in the US. It's completely understandable since Shiro Cosmetics is only a small individual company with a handful of staff members, but I felt that I had to include it since it might be important to some. I don't mind waiting a few weeks for my order to arrive, but if you do then you might want to reconsider. 









9 comments:

  1. Envious Emma12 June 2014 14:12

    This is such a great post, you've done a great job showing off the colours and creating looks. I'm also a big fan of A Song of Ice and Fire and so I'm very tempted to buy these, especially since you've provided looks that I could try with them. I'm a complete newbie to loose pigments and so I'll be checking out your tutorial as well!
    Emma (enviousemma.blogspot.co.uk)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Emma! With loose pigments you just have to make sure that you have a sticky base (like a primer, glycerine, a colour tattoo, smudge pot, Nyx chubby pencil etc) which the pigment can stick to. Without a base the pigments look a lot more sheer and can fade through the day. Also make sure to tap your brush before applying to prevent any fallout! The tutorials I linked to are great for when you either want to press loose pigments or apply them wet, but I usually just use them as I would use regular eyeshadows. Just need to be a bit more careful with fallout that's all! :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Shiro order just shipped and now I'm definitely regretting not picking up any of the shadows from this collection! I love how you used Maiden Queen. I tend to stay away from bold colors, but I think I can ease into them if I try them as a liner! Thanks for swatching. :)

    Izzique | For beauty, DIY, and lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  4. This collection is so beautiful! I'll be honest and admit that I've never read (or watched) GoT but I'm drawn to these shadows just because they look so pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dit vind ik echt helemaal geweldig! Wat een leuke manier van merchandising. Prachtige pigmentatie, en daarnaast is de collectie ook nog eens prachtig vormgegeven. Volgens mij gewoon een prachtig product. Ik heb het er best voor over om daar wat langer op te wachten! Love it!!! Liefs

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are so pretty aren't they! I bought pigments from collections that I didn't particularily care for from Shiro before just because the colours looked fantastic but with this collection I had trouble being objective and just going for the interesting colours. Haha I had to stop myself from buying my favourite character's colour, I was all like 'C'mon move along, there's no way in hell you need another black eyeshadow!' :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh exciting! It's such a shame when you've just placed an order and you find other things that you like, it's happened to me before too but on the other hand it gives you more to look forward to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg wauw, mijn handjes gaan kriebelen van deze collectie. Wauw, wat een kleuren!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shiro heeft echt hele mooie en bijzondere kleuren! Ik ben echt helemaal verliefd op zowat alles in hun online winkel haha.

    ReplyDelete